We all want to be more creative. Here are some tips on how to do so while maintaining relevant and consistent business acumen.
1. Be Diverse: Diverse teams can be much more creative than individuals because several
brains naturally generate more ideas than a single brain. In contrast,
too much or the wrong kind of diversity can hurt. To be most
creative, teams should have people of differing skills, talents and
backgrounds, but with similar values and motivations. Having a common goal is the key!
2. Reduce Time Pressures: Necessity is the mother of innovation, but not always under time constraints. Studies have shown that deadlines can inhibit creativity. Sure, we have all come up with magic in the 11th hour, but giving yourself more time will result in more creativity.
3. Take a Break: Relentlessly grinding away at a problem is less likely to produce a
creative breakthrough than consistent effort combined with occasional
breaks to rest, relax, and recharge. Engaging in exercise during breaks
helps even more. Research shows people come up with more and better
ideas while walking than while standing still. And don't discount
meditation. The regular practice of mindfulness has been consistently
connected with greater creativity.
4. Change the Scene: We can all agree that getting out of our "space" allows us to be able to step outside the problem and look from a different angle. This is the key to changing the scene. A day long idea-generating meeting can be productive, but is much more so if held off-site. Moving away from familiar surroundings creates unfamiliar thought patterns.
5. Embrace Failure: Anyone who is creative is bound to fail - it is part of the game. The key is to not punish the failure, but to reward it. Punishing failure will deter creative thinking.
Let us know what you use to stay creative. We are always available at www.FirstAmericanMortgage.net
Thank you very much!